Friday, May 11, 2012

Where the Words Come From

I've been spending a lot of time working at night.  I seem to thrive in darkness...sort of like bacteria...and I feel more productive, more alert, when squinting at the sharp light of my laptop.  It got me thinking about artists in general, and how they procure whatever is needed to get the job done. 

As a writer, a relatively unemployed one at that, I can't say that I have a set schedule or method to the madness that is authorship.  I write when I'm inspired, not when the clock says I should.  I guess it's more "organic" that way, although not always efficient.  Usually my inspiration comes in small bursts, where I can write down portions of stories I might never get back to.  I'm not a very disciplined person where my hobbies are concerned.  I would consider writing a hobby.  I don't get paid for it, and I certainly don't do it every day, so I can't rightly call it a job.  But I've always liked most of my hobbies better than most of my jobs anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment